How to Apply For Eskom Prepaid Meter
There are 6 basic steps to take when applying for an Eskom prepaid meter. However, before you begin the application process, you may want to take some time to understand how an Eskom prepaid meter works before you finally make your decision to apply.
Firstly, seek out some important advice and information in regard to your connection then find out the details and documentation you need to enable Eskom to speedily process your application; and the taken to start and complete the application process for an Eskom prepaid meter.
Read: How to report power outage Eskom
Take out time to check how much electricity you consume on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. This is will help you know the type of meter to apply for and the prepaid amount to purchase monthly as tariffs are charged depending on the size and phase of supply, including Homelight and Home power.
Also, for the application requirements and documentation, you may need the following:
- Contact information (landline, mobile number, and e-mail address).
- Physical address (with proof in the form of an account statement no older than three months).
- Employment status.
- Next of kin.
- Bank Account information including; type of account, name of the account, account number, branch or branch code (if applicable).
- Meter number (if applicable).
- Copy of your ID.
- Proof of ownership. (for homeowners).
- Certificate of Compliance (for homeowners).
For Corporate Bodies:
- Certificate of establishment of Body Corporate.
- Letter of authorization.
- Copy of ID of the person authorized
- .Certificate of Compliance.
When you have gotten these documents ready, you’re now ready to start the application process.
How to Apply For Eskom Prepaid Meter
- Download and complete your connection application form. To download the application form, click here.
When you have successfully completed the form, Email it to CustomerServices@eskom.co.za – ensure that you get a reference number.
- The next step is a home inspection. Eskom will do a site visit at your home to plan the connection – the Eskom Call Centre will contact you telephonically or via SMS to arrange a date and time for the site visit. During the visit, they will select the appropriate line/cable route, and compile a technical design for the connection. They will also determine the ideal position for your prepaid meter and customer interface unit (it is usually installed in the kitchen). All these including the cost of connection will be completed within 30 days of your application. However, the time may be more if there are other pending requirements or additional activities. Contact 08600 37566 should you wish to enquire about the progress report and give the Call Centre your reference number whenever you make an inquiry.
- Eskom supplies you with a quote that is to be received within 30 days of your application. The quote will contain the following:
Letter of acceptance.
Eskom supply agreement.
Annexure A: Standard conditions of supply.
Annexure B: Tariff information.
Ensure that your quote includes copies of Annexures A and B – the terms and conditions in these annexures form an integral part of your electricity supply agreement with Eskom.
Once a quote is received, you have 30 days from the date on the quote to either accept or reject it.
- Accept the quote by signing the following:
a) the letter of acceptance,
b) the electricity supply agreement and
c) a copy of the standard conditions of supply (Annexure A) and return all to the address in the quote.
Eskom will then return the signed agreement to you and issue you with an account number.
The connection charge stipulated in your quote is payable upon acceptance of the quote. This charge varies depending on the size and phase of your supply.
Payments can be made at First National Bank, EasyPay offices, or via Electronic Funds Transfer, and other information about these payment options is provided in the quote.
- Construction of the connection. The Eskom Call Centre will contact you telephonically or via SMS to request access to your property on specific dates and times to do the construction.
Call 08600 37566 to find out when construction will start and be completed – give the Call Centre your reference number whenever you make an inquiry
- Switching on your connection. Once construction is completed, the next thing is to switch on the connection. You can expect a courtesy call from Eskom for feedback on and assistance with any outstanding issues after completion of the installation in your home. An Eskom official will be available to assist you during the connection process.
Call 08600 37566 to report any problem or difficulties after the connection process – give the Call Centre your reference number.