How to discover and grow your passion
10th December 2020
Thinking of growing your passion? You will need to first discover your passion before you can grow it as you cannot grow what you are ignorant of. Discovering your passion before growth helps you to avoid wasting your time on irrelevant things and chasing shadows.
Discovering your passion is a gradual step by step monitoring into your life. You need to take an inward look at yourself and notice the things that get you ticking and the ones that set you off. This article is written as a guide to help you in the journey of discovery and growth of your passion.
Read: How to follow your dreams
How to Discover and Grow your Passion
- Take a few minutes to think about all the regular activities that you already participate in and write them down. Pay special attention to activities that make you lose track of time because you’re enjoying them. Your friends and relatives can also help fill you in about what things you’re always talking about.
- Find out your values as they are the core beliefs that make you feel satisfied in life and become a part of your personality. When you want to discover your passion, finding something that aligns with your values will make you feel happier and more fulfilled.
- Think about your talents. If you’re naturally good at something, it may be a clue that you’re actually passionate about it. Your talents can be the key to discovering your passion.
- List out your interests according to their importance and choose the ones that feel the most important to you right now. While you can always come back to other interests later, the ones that you’re most excited about are usually going to be the things that you’re the most passionate for.
- Make a list of experiences or activities you have a slight interest in and find ways to expose yourself to them.
Beware of staying closed-minded and not pursuing things just because they make you uncomfortable. If you don’t approach things with an open mind, you may be shutting yourself off from things you’re passionate about.
- Look for ways to eliminate time-wasters (social media and games) from your schedule.
- After you have discovered your passion and started working on growing it, it is essential you persevere through challenges and failures. There will be a few pitfalls as you get deeper into your passion, but don’t let those discourage you. Even if you aren’t naturally good at something you’re passionate about, keep pursuing them and working through the hardships so you can improve and get better. Passions take time and dedication, so make sure you spend time doing the work and use any failures as learning experiences going forward.
- Know when to throw in the towel. While it’s important to persevere, it’s also important to recognize when to stop pursuing something. If you aren’t getting the same level of enjoyment that you were before, then it may be time to move onto something different.
- Don’t limit yourself if you enjoy something. It can be really easy to get into a comfortable place, but that could prevent you from developing your passion even further. Try switching up your daily routine each day so you can experience something slightly different each day.
- You need to be self-disciplined to achieve your goal of developing and growing your passion. Set rules for yourself and follow them strictly to the latter.