Do you feel like your clothes do not fit because of the extra layers of fat lying round your stomach or below your abdomen? I couldn’t get myself to wear tight clothes, skimpy wears and bikinis because I lacked the perfect body. Though I desired to attend beach parties and all, I couldn’t get myself into it and I felt bad.
Weight can be classified with the use of body mass index (BMI). This can also be a measure to predict the risk of metabolic disease. Though losing fat from this area can be difficult, there are several things you can do to reduce excess abdominal fat.
How To Lose Weight in Your Stomach
- Sleep early: Going to bed early can help you reduce belly fat. Sleep is important for many aspects of your health, including weight. Studies show that people who don’t get enough sleep tend to gain more weight, which may include belly fat.
- Consume Soluble Fiber: Soluble fiber promotes weight loss by helping you feel full, so you naturally eat less. It may also decrease the number of calories your body absorbs from food. Soluble fiber absorbs water and forms a gel that helps slow down food as it passes through your digestive system. Include high fiber food to your diet. Fiber can be obtained from: flax seeds, Brussels sprouts, avocados, legumes and blackberries.
- Avoid Excess Alcohol Consumption: Research suggests that too much alcohol can also make you gain belly fat. Heavy alcohol consumption can cause a significantly increased risk of developing central obesity — that is, excess fat storage around the waist. It is true that alcohol can be important in the body, but it should be consumed in a reduced amount.
- Eat High Protein Foods: Protein is important as it increases the release of the fullness hormone PYY, which decreases appetite and promotes fullness. Proteins are found in fish, meat, eggs, dairy products and beans.
- Stay Away From Sugary Foods: Excess consumption of sugar has been linked to several chronic diseases as sugar contains fructose. It’s important to realize that more than just refined sugar can lead to belly fat gain. Even healthier sugars, such as real honey, should be used sparingly.
- Avoid foods that contain trans fats: Trans fats have been linked to inflammation, heart disease, insulin resistance, and abdominal fat gain in observational and animal studies. These fats are created by pumping hydrogen into unsaturated fats, such as soybean oil. They are found in some margarines and packaged foods.
- Manage Stress: Stress can make you gain belly fat by triggering the adrenal glands to produce cortisol, which is also known as the stress hormone. Research shows that high cortisol levels increase appetite and drive abdominal fat storage. To help reduce belly fat, engage in pleasurable activities that relieve stress.
- Perform Resistance Training and Aerobic Exercises: Resistance training, also known as weight lifting or strength training, is important for preserving and gaining muscle mass. Also, aerobic exercise (cardio) is an effective way to improve your health and burn calories. Do them more often at least 20mins daily to help with weight reduction.
- Reduce Carbohydrate Intake: Reducing your carbohydrate intake can be very beneficial for losing fat, including abdominal fat. Some research suggests that simply replacing refined carbs with unprocessed starchy carbs, whole grains, legumes, or vegetables.
- Eat fatty fish every week: Fatty fish are incredibly healthy. They’re rich in high quality protein and omega-3 fats that protect you from disease. Good fatty fish includes: Salmon, herring, mackerel and sardines.
- Avoid Sweetened beverages and fruit juice: Drinking large amounts of sweetened beverages and fruit juices may carry the same risk for abdominal fat gain. Although fruit juice provides vitamins and minerals, it’s just as high in sugar as soda and other sweetened beverages. To help reduce excess belly fat, replace fruit juice with water, unsweetened iced tea, or sparkling water with a wedge of lemon or lime.
- Add apple cider vinegar to your diet: Drinking apple cider vinegar has impressive health benefits, including lowering blood sugar levels. Taking 1–2 tablespoons (15–30 mL) of apple cider vinegar per day is safe for most people and may lead to modest fat loss. However, be sure to dilute it with water, as undiluted vinegar can erode the enamel on your teeth.
- Drink green tea: Green tea is an exceptionally healthy beverage. It contains caffeine and the antioxidant epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), both of which appear to boost metabolism.
Whatever works for you, bottom line is that you stay healthy and get that perfect body is free of belly fat and excess weight.