How to host a Zoom meeting
9th July 2021
Zoom Meeting is a proprietary video teleconferencing software program which allows over 1000 concurrent participants to communicate at the same time. To host a zoom meeting, you need to understand the basics on how to set up the meeting. Below are the necessary steps that needs to be taken to host a zoom meeting.
How to Host a Zoom Meeting
- First, you need to download the zoom application and sign in. If you already have an account, open your Zoom client and sign in to Zoom.
- Click on the Schedule icon. This will open the scheduler window with calendar. Select your meeting settings.
- Enter a topic or name for your meeting and select the date and time of the meeting. Note that you can start your meeting at any time before the scheduled time.
- In case of a recurring meeting,select recurring meeting (the meeting ID will remain the same for each session).
- Generate a random unique meeting ID.Read: How to set up GoFundMe account
- Set your Personal Meeting ID.
- Enter a meeting passcode. Joining participants will be required to input this before joining your scheduled meeting. The meeting passcode must meet complexity requirements set by your admin.
- Enable Waiting Room for the meeting.
- Restrict access to the meeting so that only authenticated users can join the meeting.
- Choose between the standard Enhanced encryption and End-to-end encryption for your meeting.
- Choose if you would like the host’s video on or off when joining the meeting. Even if you choose off, the host will have the option to start their video.
- Allow users to call in using Telephone only, Computer Audio only, Both, or 3rd Party Audio (if enabled for your account).
- If Telephone or Both is enabled for this meeting, click Edit to select the dial-in countries to include in the invitation. By default, this includes your Global Dial-In Countries listed in your meeting settings.
- Select a calendar service to add the meeting to and send out invites to participants.
- Open the Outlook desktop app and create an event for the meeting. You will see Outlook when using the Windows client and iCal when using a macOS.
- Open a new window, where the meeting text can be copied pasted into the user’s preferred communication method. You can also down an ICS file which can be opened in most email applications.
- Click on the arrow to view additional meeting options.
- Mute participants on entry if they join before host is not enabled (click on the options in manage participants). Participants can unmute themselves after joining the meeting. Participants will be prompted to provide the host with consent to be unmuted at will by the host. If declined, the host will still have the option to Ask to unmute.
- Select if you want to record Locally (to your computer) or In the cloud.
- Enable additional data center regions for this meeting.
- Approve or deny entry to users from certain regions and countries: Host can either allow only participants from specific counties/regions to join, or block all participants from specific counties/regions.
- If you have scheduling privilege for another user, you will be able to choose who you want to schedule for from the drop-down menu.
- Add the meeting to a public calendar associated with your vanity URL from the Show in Public Event List.
- Choose an Alternative hosts by entering the email address of another Zoom user who is Licensed, on your account to allow them to start the meeting in your absence.
- Enable language interpretation for the meeting (only supported in Windows and macOS clients).
- Click Save to finish, and open the selected calendar service to add the meeting.
The meeting will end after 40-minutes for Basic (free) users if 3 or more people join the meeting. If enabled, you can also choose how far in advance of the scheduled start time you wish them to be able to join: 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 15 minutes, or Anytime.